NOTICE: WE WILL NOT BE OFFERING A BASIC POST ACADEMY FOR THE 2012 YEAR.
PLEASE CHECK BACK AT A LATER TIME FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Life in the Basic Academy...
The Sheriff's Basic Academy is certified by the Ca. Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training to provide our students with state of the art instruction and prepare them for life as a law enforcement officer, one of the most challenging careers life has to offer.
What to Expect...
The Sheriff's Academy works in partnership with police departments and Sheriff's Offices throughout an Eight County Region. Training is rigorous and is spread out over the course of 24 weeks. We cover all mandated material required by the State as well as additional curriculum that will assist you throughout your career.
What is the Physical Training Like?
Life of a peace officer is tough, particularly physically. The Sheriff's Regional Training Division employs a physical fitness specialist who will assist recruits in achieving fitness goals and prepare them for a life-long journey toward physical fitness health. Expect to do quite a bit of running, upper body workouts, and aerobic exercises.
Do I have to be employed by an agency before I can get in?
Absolutely not! In fact, many of our students come through without being sponsored initially. However, it has been our experience that most students who have a good background are hired by an agency within the first few months of an academy. If you are not yet employed by an agency in a "trainee" position, then you will, however, have to ensure for a high enough T-Score to get into the academy.
Is There Any Tuition Assistance Available?
We work with private organizations who sometimes provide scholarships to qualified students. Staff at the Training Center will assist you if you are in need of assistance.
How Much Money Does It Cost to Attend?
Students can expect to pay approximately $4,000 to attend the Academy. Much of that comes from college units as well as the drivers training fee along with weapon ammunition.
How Do I Get In?
The very first thing you must do, if you are not yet hired by an agency, is to show up to a test day and take the exam. We have no test dates scheduled at this time. Please check back later.
I have passed the entrance exams, and plan on attending a future academy. What do I need to do prepare?
1. No felony convictions
2. No firearms restrictions.
3. Complete live-scan form which can be picked up from the training center.(Live Scan Fee: $70)
4. Must have completed the online application for admission form for San Joaquin Delta College
(Click here to Apply for Admission to S.J. Delta College.)
5. Attend the mandatory orientation. Be sure to bring a copy of your t-score letter and your San Joaquin Delta College Student ID Number. During orientation you will be given the 5 digit course code number to complete your enrollment into the program.
6. Unit fees ($20 per unit) are due to S.J. Delta College at the time of course enrollment for Non-Sponsored Students . Payment can be made with a credit card online or by calling the STAR System (209) 954-476-7997, or with a check or money order submitted to Admissions & Records, Holt 101. Agency sponsored students can disregard #6 & 7 as your sponsoring agency will be billed.
7. Additional fees will be paid directly to the training center. Only Credit Cards and Checks are accepted.
You will be given all handout materials on a computer disk. If you wish to print the materials out, you can visit the Kinko's website for reduced printing costs and pricing. Please call us for assistance.
For a PDF with full course information including costs, click here to download.